Shivamogga blast: The massive explosion took place near a gravels and boulders crushing facility around 10.30 pm, sending shockwaves not only in Shivamogga, but also in neighbouring Chikkamagaluru and Davangere districts. Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa confirms 5 deaths, announces Rs 5 lakh compensation.
At least six people killed in an explosion at a stone quarry near Abbalagere on Thursday night. It was on the outskirts of Shivamogga town in Karnataka. As bodies to recover from the site, the toll is likely to go up.
Also The gelatin sticks are said to explode, killing the Bihar quarry workers on the spot.
Shivamogga Rural MLA, Ashok Naik, said gelatin sticks exploded in a vehicle. “There is no known cause of the blast. Senior officers came to the place. We have to wait to get more information for some more time,’ he said.
Earlier, the tremors caused by the explosion were erroneous. Since earthquake was the cause. Also This led to some residents tunning out of their homes at night in surrounding areas. The Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre later clarifies, however, that no seismic activity was reported.
“Shivamogga District Collector K.B. Shiva Kumar told The Hindu: “Removal of two bodies took place from the site. Facts do not substantiate the reports indicating the death of more people.
“In a licenced crushing unit, located in the safe zone, the incident occurred. “The forensic team will investigate the site and draw a conclusion on the material that exploded.
On Thursday night, a huge explosion left the people of Shivamogga in shock. The inhabitants heard a great sound and sensed tremors.
After my dinner, when we heard enormous noise, I walked near my home. The crusher site is about half a kilometre from our location. We noticed thick fire, followed all over the place by clouds of dust,”I was walking near my home after my dinner, when we heard huge noise. The crusher site is about half a kilometre from our place. We noticed thick flame, followed by clouds of dust all over the place,”
Police have been cordoning the area off. The administration of the district expects the technical team to hit the position.
South Western Railway has clarified that the Railways were not currently receiving ballast from any source in the region, following reports in a section of the media about the quary belonging to an agency that supplied ballast to the Railways.
Speaking to pressmen in Shivamogga on Friday morning, the minister said the cause of the enormous explosion could only come after the expert team visited the site and examined the incident.
“There are reports that people in distant places experienced tremors yesterday night. It is not yet clear what was the reason for the tremors. The technical analysis will clarify if the explosion caused the tremors,” he said.
The minister further claimed that action had been taken by the government against illegal stone crushers and illegal miners. He said, “We will take action against those responsible for the incident.”